Thursday, February 03, 2005

Frumpy? Dowdy? Hmmph.

You know what? I AM NOT OLD. I don't care what you say, I don't care what you think. I am NOT to be greeted as Ma'am. If you are 20 years younger than me - and that puts you in half-day kindergarten - you may call me Ma'am. If you are a 21 year old grocery-bagger, you are SO not allowed to say it. Some of my friends try to make me feel better, and say I get "Ma'amed" because I'm married. Married = Old? Yes, ladies and gents, in this day of sex and the city, apparently that's true. You know, since you should be able to mess around til you're almost too old to have children THEN get married, married = old.
If old = uncool, then I'm totally not old. I think. I hope. I lay awake at night sweating about.
Married is not equal to old is not equal to uncool. Sitting around and doing logic equations about coolness might, however, be uncool. Therefore I will just step back and say:

Do not "Ma'am" anyone who is not female and visibly ten years older than your grandma. You will make more friends and better tips, and save yourself the wrath of some perfectly young woman in her mid-twenties.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

I'm 36 and I remember my first Ma'am. It was a long time ago, and I have always looked young for my age. People are stupid.

The Prufroquette said...

Arrrgh, I HATE getting Ma'amed. Hate. Hate. Hate. And I get it all the time. I'm not even married. No one has any excuse to call me ma'am, unless I'm a scary spinster, but that's a good ten years into the future. I try to comfort myself that it's a recognition of maturity, but it's not that comforting.

Where did nice, sensitive "Miss" go?

What prompts people to use "Ma'am"?

cybele malinowski said...

yesssss!

i will be miss till the day i die. and then i'll be missed!